If integrity and independence matter to you, find your place in the home of Australia’s best writing.
Start Date: Immediate
This is a newly created role, as Schwartz Media is at an important stage in its growth journey, with a focus on building its brands and driving reader revenue.
The mid-weight designer will be responsible for designing and producing creative assets for Schwartz Media’s suite of publications, including The Monthly, The Saturday Paper and 7am podcast. The designer will be working closely with marketing, product, editorial, developer/tech teams and third-party creative agencies.
Day to day they will design and create imagery and assets for email, web and social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc) and online banner ads working with the marketing team. They will also be on hand to support The Saturday Paper editorial team on the paper’s print layouts before it goes go to print on Thursday. They will support the CEO and Product Manager, working on corporate presentations, pitches and updating brand collateral.
They will work on small to medium design briefs to develop concepts, design and final artwork for brand and marketing activations throughout the year. They’ll support the rollout of assets for larger scale projects, when we partner with third-party creative agencies. These assets will roll out across our platforms and channels: print, site, app, social, event. They will also work with Product Manager and Lead Developer on small iterative updates to the sites that require UX and design. The Mid-Weight Designer will report to the Product Manager.
- Conceives ideas and concepts, develops final designs, produces, works with others and coordinates in the creation of multifaceted digital and print roll outs
- Works with the Product Manager and other team members to provide professional recommendations for concept, design, art direction, strategy (as advised by the Editor in Chief), production and print buying, and monitors quality control
- Defines design criteria; develops concept and direction; proposes and creates art signed off by the Editor in Chief and Chief Executive Officer
- Creates and develops media using digital art and photographic techniques
- Responsible for final creative digital specifications, approvals (signed off by the Editor in Chief and Chief Executive Office) and quality control, along with the Product Manager.
- Selects and recommends creative partners to work with – i.e. animators, illustrators, researches and references digital trends
- Understand how user behaviour is affected by design – i.e. consider UX / UI in your design and let results inform your thinking
Minimum three to five years’ experience working in the design or editorial industry.
Must have a design portfolio demonstrating creative art direction, a refined sense of typography, strong use of images with overall simplicity and a powerful sense of communication.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Degree in graphic design or visual communication
- Expert design skills and proven experience using Adobe Creative Cloud
- Strong graphic design skills: understanding of and experience in branding, layout, colour theory and typography, in both print and digital media
- Ability to work quickly from concept creation to finished product
- Demonstrates understanding the brand and vision of the business
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Attention to detail and high levels of accuracy
- Pro-active and able to show initiative/ideas to constantly improve the quality of the brand
- Confidence, to present and explain ideas to senior colleagues. A matter-of-fact approach when ideas or designs are rejected
- Awareness of the competitive business environment in which they work
- Rich Media banners
- Animation (gif)
- Ability to wireframe
- Understanding of useability and user experience
- Photo retouching
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite – InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and other mac-based software. Ability to use InVision (bonus)
- Knowledge of pre-press techniques and file preparation
- Ensuring all creative adheres to style guidelines and articulates brand objectives
- Produces work of the highest quality to any given brief or guideline
- Clearly shows design rationale for each project
- Works quickly through tasks without effecting quality of projects
- Proactive in pushing the final end product beyond the initial brief
- Works and communicates effectively within a multi-disciplined team
- Maintains attention to detail and ability to proof work
- Ensures all files and named and saved correctly and file structure is logical
- Is able to take on board critical feedback in a professional manner
Please send your CV and portfolio as a pdf to [email protected]