If integrity and independence matter to you, find your place in the home of Australia’s best writing.
Start Date: March
Schwartz Media, publisher of renowned brands The Monthly, The Saturday Paper, and 7am podcast, is looking for a Sales Director to join our team and help shape a positive and sustainable future for Australian journalism.
Working among a creative and collaborative team dedicated to enabling the telling of important stories, the focus of this role is to liaise with marketers and their agencies to service, retain and grow existing relationships and to secure new business that helps fund important journalism in Australia.
The Schwartz Media commercial proposition is a unique one, connecting brands to our audiences in a way that delivers influence and impact. It is a premium and creative proposition that is distinctive in the Australian market, and has significant growth opportunities as our audience and offering continues to expand.
As a commercially minded and imaginative sales executive, you will have experience in successfully delivering ingenious and effective advertising partnerships for a national media brand. Your ability to build and nurture strong relationships with key stakeholders will ensure that you leverage all opportunities to connect the brands of advertisers with our audiences.
You are curious, entrepreneurial and interested in taking a hands-on role in shaping the future of news media, in a challenging environment filled with possibilities.
Ideally, you will also have strong pre-existing relationships and expertise in the following sectors: travel, education, finance, automotive, luxury, food and beverage.
We would love to hear from you if you:
- Six-plus years of media, agency or sales experience within a premium, content- led media organisation
- A structured problem solving skills and the ability to simplify multi- faceted sales and commercial components
- Have a curious mind and competitive spirit
- Have an interest in Australian politics, society, current affairs, arts and culture
- Have a solid understanding of the importance of independent media and the benefits it offers readers and brands
- Want to evolve in a high-performing and forward-thinking company
- Want to play a key role in shaping the next phase of Australian media
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working alongside the leadership team in shaping and evolving the Schwartz Media go-to market strategy and offerings
- Development and generation of new advertising products and integration
- Management of a national sales team as well as close collaboration with product and technology teams
- Co-development and delivery of market-facing initiatives – events, roadshows, market presence – that position Schwartz Media as the premium media proposition in Australia
- Development and nurturing of senior marketer relationships focused on education, luxury, finance, travel, consumer products and entertainment/arts organisations
- Sourcing, closing and growing new and existing business to regularly meet and exceed sales goals
- Setting up face-to-face meetings with prospects and active clients
- Planning and implementing strategies to generate prospects and follow up sales leads
- Preparing unique and persuasive proposals and presentations for clients that exceed effectiveness goals
- Responding to briefs and negotiating effectively with clients
- Raising awareness of all print and digital properties within the advertising industry
- Ensuring all current and prospective clients are aware of new products, services and initiatives launched
- Travelling interstate when required
To be considered for this position, tell us why your motivation, skills and experience make you the right fit for this role.
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected]
Start Date: March 2024
The Saturday Paper is hiring a chief political correspondent to join our celebrated team of reporters.
The successful candidate will have significant news-breaking ability and experience covering federal politics.
They will be a lively and talented writer with a deep understanding of politics and the capacity to provide clear-eyed analysis and penetrating news features.
The position is based in Canberra and will file to The Saturday Paper and 7am. The chief political correspondent reports to the paper’s editor-in-chief and managing editor.
Applications close February 29. Please send a cover letter and CV, as well as a writing sample, to [email protected]
Start Date: March 2024
Schwartz Media’s mission is to inform through fearless, intelligent and entertaining news. We offer a nuanced examination of Australia, delivering fresh insight and literary expression. We invest in longform journalism that breaks the 24-hour news cycle, and produce writing that makes difficult topics clear. Schwartz Media publishes Australia’s most respected writers and award-winning reporters across The Saturday Paper, The Monthly magazine and our daily podcast, 7am – the number-one news podcast in Australia. Our goal is to be the leading independent publisher of quality audio, print and online journalism in the country, to deliver insightful coverage to readers who invest in news they can trust.
Schwartz Media is at an exciting stage of development and is looking for an experienced Data Analyst to help us build a more detailed picture of existing and potential audiences across our platforms. Reporting to the chief executive, the ideal candidate will have a demonstrated technical expertise in sourcing and analysis of relevant data, including demographics, behaviours and values. They will be an effective communicator, who can work across teams and share the findings and implications of their research to inform strategy, as well as maintain and build relationships with external vendors/partners.
- Liaise with internal commercial and editorial stakeholders to understand departmental objectives, challenges and opportunities
- Conduct research and data analysis to understand audiences, demographics, behaviours and values
- Employ exploratory analysis of the above across all platforms
- Use observation and analysis to recommend iterative improvements to our titles and products
- Collaborate with Product and Tech teams on the end-to-end process of test design, implementation and reporting
- Democratise data through designing, building and automating dashboards or other means
- Regularly document and communicate insights to stakeholders at all levels of the organisation to facilitate action on business opportunities
- Manage and evaluate the effectiveness of analytics tools and data collection methods
Skills and experience
- Understanding of web analytics, GA4, marketplace environments and business KPIs
- Experience analysing and manipulating large datasets
- Proven proficiency in Excel, and ideally SQL and BigQuery databases
- Knowledge of data privacy and compliance regulations
- Ability to adapt to evolving technologies and industry trends
- Attention to detail and an eye for data quality and hygiene
Storytelling and dissemination:
An ability to explain complex information to non-technical audiences
A proven ability to present compelling stories and provide actionable insights using data
An interest in data visualisation
An ability to plan and assist in the development of data visualisation projects, including data collection and presentation
At least 3 years’ experience in Data Analytics
Tertiary qualification or background in statistics, economics or data science
Schwartz Media is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all backgrounds, including First Nations people, culturally and linguistically diverse people, LGBTQIA+ people, and people with a disability.
If you are passionate about our goal of informing through fearless, intelligent and entertaining news, and you’re searching for a rewarding role that will help us share an independent voice in the Australian media landscape, we encourage you to apply to join our team.
HOW TO APPLY
This is a full time role beginning in March, based at our offices in Collingwood, Victoria. To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected] by March 4.
Shortlisting of candidates will commence prior to the closure of this role, so please do not delay submitting your application.
Start Date: To be negotiated
Black Inc. is seeking a proactive and detail-oriented individual to join our team as a Publicity Assistant.
- Supporting the department with general admin tasks
- Assisting in the execution of media campaigns, including managing book mailouts and fielding media enquiries
- Managing media clippings, databases, coverage reports, and mailouts.
- Providing events support for touring authors, book launches and literary festivals
- excellent communication skills
- enthusiasm and interest in the publishing industry
- strong organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- attention to detail and timely follow up on requests
- an interest in developing publicity/media expertise
This is a full-time hybrid position, based in Melbourne.
To apply, submit a CV and cover letter to [email protected] by COB Friday, 8th March