Product and project manager
Start Date: Immediate
Back to careers
Schwartz Media is known for its forward-thinking, high-quality journalism, and for its reach and influence. We publish intelligent news and current affairs that breaks the 24-hour news cycle to offer a nuanced examination of Australia and the world. Our audience reads to know, not just to agree. We invest in long-form journalism where the issues demand it, providing writing of a quality that makes difficult topics clear. Schwartz Media publishes Australia’s most respected writers across The Saturday Paper, The Monthly magazine and the daily podcast 7am, alongside our sister publications, Quarterly Essay and Australian Foreign Affairs.
We are looking for a smart, confident and ambitious product and project manager to join our team.
The successful candidate will work closely with the chief executive and editor-in-chief to set priorities and ensure a sound and ambitious vision for our suite of products, from our print titles and our websites to our newsletters, apps and podcast.
You will possess strong strategic thinking and will thrive in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment. In this role, you will help build consumer-driven products that achieve newsroom and business goals.
We are seeking someone who:
- Has a passion for Schwartz Media and a commitment to being part of our innovation and growth
- Can prioritise in a rapidly changing environment and is well versed in agile product development
- Can bring clarity to ambiguous and complex situations
- Has the ability to get things done and can step outside their defined role in order to do so
- Is in their element at the intersection of technology, operations, design, editorial and business, and is comfortable coordinating projects across these teams
- Is curious about the ever-changing platforms on which users consume content
- Is able to work collaboratively with backend developers
- Is organised and able to communicate clearly at an operational level with delivery teams (internally and externally) as well as at a strategic level with senior leaders
- Provides clear direction and can use a cross disciplinary team to maintain an environment of high performance with a clear focus on measurable outcomes
- Knows how to balance the need to maintain product health with the need to drive towards transformative goals
- Has a love of journalism, product management and design
- At least two years’ significant product management experience, preferably a product role within the media industry and with subscription-based products (web and app) using an agile approach
- Great eye for detail in product and design
- Proven capacity to think strategically and to drive innovation
- High-level organisational skills
- Ability to grasp complex technical concepts and work closely with developers and designers
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving high growth environment
- Strong written and communication skills, including the ability to communicate between technical and non-technical people, vertically and horizontally
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Excellent customer intuition
- Hands-on experience with Google Analytics, including dashboards and custom reports
- Hands-on experience with Google Tag and Ad Manager
- Hands-on experience with campaign management tools
- Experience creating effective product roadmaps
- Experience running A/B tests preferably with Google Optimize
- Comfortable learning new web and digital tools on your own quickly
This position reports to the CEO.
A position description is available upon request.
To be considered for this position, tell us why your motivation, skills and experience make you the right fit for this role. To apply, please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected] by Friday, July 5, 2019.
Schwartz Media is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace, one that values new ideas and diverse thinking. We encourage applications from First Nations People, people of colour, people with disabilities, and people from the trans and queer communities.