Mid-weight Graphic Designer
Start Date: Immediate
Back to careers
Schwartz Media is currently recruiting for a mid-weight graphic designer with a strong grasp of design principles across digital and print products. The successful candidate will utilise analytical thinking and creative design skills that effectively blend customer needs and tackle design and experience problems. They are a champion of digital experiences and can build iterative solutions to increase a variety of metrics, not least of all goal conversion. They are also confident in art directing new visual concepts with experience in identity design and art direction.
With a focus spread across all Schwartz Media titles, the mid-weight graphic designer will champion creative solutions and mentor an existing in-house designer to improve the quality of interaction between Schwartz Media and its customers. They will provide mentorship to the small creative team, be strong in communication, influencing and collaboration strategies.
Furthermore, this role is an advocate for experience design working closely with various technical and non-technical teams, to shape visual identity and customer experience thinking. Skill sharing and influencing will be important attributes, promoting best-in-class art direction across the business while also having the confidence to challenge executive perceptions that aren’t aligned to our customers’ needs, expectations or best practice.
- Enthusiastically build the brand equity and visual communication of our business to improve the customer experience at all aspects of the customer life cycle.
- Lead and then rapidly convert output from brainstorming and ideation sessions into workable, concept designs and functioning prototypes based on commercial requirements.
- Creation of a wide range of graphics and layouts ranging from illustrations, identity design, print collateral, social media and website optimisation with software within Adobe Creative Suite.
- Using best-in-class human-centred design practices together with customer interaction principles to create impactful customer experiences.
- Liaise with development teams and production agencies to ensure deliverables are seamlessly delivered from concepting to pre-production, production and review phases.
- Contributing to team efforts by accomplishing tasks as needed, communicating with managers and project stakeholders to ensure clear alignment throughout.
- Mentoring of internal creative teams and knowledge sharing to the commercial and editorial teams more broadly.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a visual designer; digital &/or art direction experience is valuable.
- Newsroom/publishing experience is desired, but not essential
- Understanding of marketing, production, website design, corporate identity, product packaging, advertisements and multimedia design and ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, including editorial.
- A strong eye for visual composition and art direction in addition to problem-solving, design-thinking and agile development approaches.
- Experience managing and mentoring direct reports with the ability to give and receive constructive criticism.
- Effective time-management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
This is a part-time permanent role, with possibility to extend to full-time permanent, at the Schwartz Media offices located in Carlton, Victoria. Schwartz Media is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace, one that values new ideas and diverse thinking. We encourage applications from First Nations People, people of colour, people with disabilities, and people from the trans and queer communities.
Please demonstrable your graphic design skills by supplying your portfolio alongside your CV to [email protected]